To create a new product, select the category it belongs to. The category determines:
- sales commissions,
- set of product characteristics,
- position in search results.
Choose the category carefully: products with the wrong category are rejected during the moderation.
To correctly identify a category, use the search by category before creating or uploading products. The template for uploading products can be downloaded or filled out online on the second and third levels of the category tree in your personal account.
Product categories on Ozon #
There are several components in the category:
- Main category: includes products with common characteristics. For example, “Clothing”, “Electronics”, “Renovation & Construction”.
- Subcategory: includes product types. For example, “Vacuum Cleaner” in the “Home Appliances” category or “Computer” in the “Electronics” category.
- Type: refers to the unique characteristics that the customer will see in the PDP. For example, it might be “Types of Beverages” for a coffee machine, “Diameter” for a plate, and “Handle Material” for a set of dining forks.
For robot vacuum cleaner, the main category is “Home Appliances”, the subcategory is “Vacuum Cleaner”, and the type is “Robot Vacuum Cleaner”.
Some categories in your personal account and on the Ozon website are different. This way it’s easier for customers to search for products. You can’t choose a category for the website, it’s defined automatically.
|In your personal account
|Sports & Recreation > Fishing Accessories & Supplies > Fishing Wobbler, Popper, Rattlin
|Tourism, fishing, hunting > Fishing > Fishing Lures and Tackle > Wobbler
|Electronics > Manual Input Device > Computer Mouse
|Electronics > Game Consoles and Laptops > Gaming Mice
Choose product category and type #
You can find a similar product on Ozon and view its category and type. In most cases, the category names on the website and in your personal account are the same.
- Products with the wrong category will be rejected on moderation.
- The product type helps customers find your product faster.
If there’s no suitable category, contact the support team: Content / Working with PDPs → Add a product category/type. Attach a product photo and a link to the manufacturer’s website or your store. The support team will help you choose the right category or create a new one.
Why product categories may be unavailable #
Uploading products in some categories is restricted. To access these categories, provide product documents.
You can’t add products from restricted categories to any similar categories. Such product will be rejected by moderators and your account may be banned.
Specify product category and type #
Change product category and type #
You can update product category and type only when editing one PDP in your personal account. Other editing methods won’t work.
After you change the category:
- the set of characteristics in the PDP may change: new required fields may appear or those already filled in may disappear;
- the content rating is recalculated;
- if the product variant is merged with other ones, it disappears from the PDP.
After you change the category, the commission fee stays the same. Contact support team to change it.
The new category must be relevant to the product. After you save the changes, the PDP gets moderated again.
While moderation is in progress, customers see the product in the previous category.
If you change the category and then decide to go back to the previous one, click . We’ll restore the previous category and all fields filled in for it. In some cases, the category may no longer be available. Ozon will suggest to select another one from the list.